JC227ATH Borated Flexi-Panel is an improved version of the discontinued JC227A.
The standard thickness has been increased to 5/16” (0.31”), which provides the same amount of hydrogen, but improved thermal neutron attenuation and gamma attenuation over the standard thickness JC227A. It has more than twice the thermal neutron stopping power as that typical of 5% borated poly and is used in a wide range of mixed energy neutron shields.
It is effective in a variety of neutron shielding applications including high-energy accelerators (physics research) and neutron test facilities.
It is an inexpensive neutron shielding material and is available in flexible sheets 0.31” thick x 48” x 48” (7 x 1219 x 1219 mm). The strong, rubber-like material is self-extinguishing when exposed to flame. Each sheet weighs only 31.5-lbs (14.3 kg) and is easily handled and installed by non-specialized personnel. This material cuts easily with razor blade knife or saw and can be bent to a radius as small as 1/2” (12.7mm). JC227ATH is easily attached to concrete or other wall materials using standard mounting techniques.
Features at a glance
- Inexpensive flexible neutron shielding material
- Ideal for installation on walls or in doors
- Contains 9.26% boron along with hydrogen in a tough flexible elastomer
- Easily handled & installed by non-specialised personnel
- Neutron Shielding for Mixed Energy Neutron Sources
- Medical Radiation Shielding & Particle Accelerators
Shielding Effectiveness For Various Types of Radiation:
- Thermal Neutrons – Excellent
- Fast Neutrons – Fair
- Gammas – Fair
- Capture Gammas – Excellent
Temperature Limit: 180°F (82.2 °C)
Machinability: Cuts easily with razor blade knife or saw
Forms and Sizes of Shielding:
- Flexible Sheets – 48″ x 48″ x 5/16″ thick, custom sizes available.
- Each sheet weighs approx. 31.5 lbs (14.3 Kg)
- Bend radius as small as a 1/2″
Radiation Resistance (structural and shielding integrity):
- Accumulated Gamma Radiation Exposure Limit: 1.0 x 109 Rad
- Accumulated Neutron Radiation Exposure Limit: 5.0 x 1017 n / cm²
Density: 1.2 gram / cm³ (76 pounds / cubic foot)
Thermal Neutron One-Tenth Thickness: 0.19 inch – Thickness of JC227ATH required to reduce the incident flux of thermal neutrons by a factor of 10 (exit thermal flux is 10% of incident thermal flux)
|Nominal Elemental Analysis||% by Weight||No Atoms / CC|
|Hydrogen||4.44||3.23 x 10²²|
|Boron||9.26||6.28 x 10²¹|
|Carbon||37.13||2.27 x 10²²|
|Nitrogen||6.71||3.51 x 10²¹|
|Oxygen||32.65||1.50 x 10²¹|
|Sodium||0.06||2.00 x 10¹⁹|
|Silicon||0.02||4.91 x 10¹⁸|
|Aluminium||9.63||2.62 x 10²²|
|Iron||0.06||7.52 x 10¹⁸|
Neutron Moderation Characteristics
Thickness of JC227ATH required to reduce to thermal 90% of an incident neutron flux, as a function of initial neutron energy (exit epithermal flux is 10% of incident neutron flux)
Gamma Attenuation Characteristics
Thickness of JC227ATH required to reduce incident flux of thermal neutrons by a factor of 10 (exit thermal flux is 10% of incident thermal flux)